The Urban Muse


The Emporium

The Emporium

The older I get the more I love antique shopping. The nostalgic feeling I get when I stroll through an antique store is overwhelming at times.

I like to go to Enid’s Emporium Antique Mall to get my nostalgia fix. I walk through the store again and again just to remember a simpler time. Many of the items I come across are candid pictures of my past: An old book I had when I was a kid, lanterns like the ones my grandma had in her farmhouse, and my mother’s pumpkin-colored Tupperware. Good Lord, the Tupperware!

Recently, I got a little choked up when I came across an old blue rotary telephone. For most, it’s just an old phone. But this phone took me back in time. It was the same blue phone my dad had in his auto shop when I was four years old. I played endlessly with this blue phone. I remember that it smelled so strongly like gas and oil and paint fumes, which is the only thing that brought me back to reality in that moment-  the phone on the shelf smelled nothing like my dad’s old phone. (And the people around me were probably wondering why I was sniffing an old dirty phone, so I snapped out of it pretty quickly.)

I’m not an antique person or anything. I probably couldn’t tell the difference between a genuine antique and a piece of garbage. But I do like discovering really cool stuff that you can’t find anywhere else, and that’s why I love the Emporium so much.

The Emporium has an expansive collection of antiques and vintage goods, supplied by area vendors. Three and a half years ago, the Emporium started with 10 vendors. Today, there are at least 60. It’s the largest antique shop that I know of in Northwest Oklahoma, and I can see why. This stuff is for real. It’s vintage. It’s old. It’s in good shape.  You won’t find thrift-store quality here. While there is an occasional non-antique item on the shelf, the Emporium’s co-manager, Dale Murphy, says that at least 80% if the vendors’ items must be antique or vintage to be displayed here. The other 20% comes in handy at times, too: Those who really don’t want to shop for antiques might even find a thing or two that piques their interest, too.

I’ve been told that antique stores are slowly becoming antiquities themselves. With an expanding online marketplace, and new generations of people who probably don’t appreciate antiques as much as we want them to, it would seem that the average antique store would have little or no business. But if you stop in to the Emporium on an average day, you might be surprised to see that the store is quite popular.

Whether you’re on the prowl for that unique piece of furniture, vintage home décor (or even some bright orange Tupperware), The Emporium Antique Mall is not to be missed!  And it never hurts to take a walk down memory lane, right?

P.S: Check out the Emporium Antique Mall  on Facebook!

The Emporium is located at:

5120 W Owen K Garriott Rd
Enid, OK 73703-4644
(580) 402-6716

View Larger Map

Sarina Houston: Sarina comes to Enid after spending four years in the UK eating crumpets and jet-setting to Europe’s best vacation destinations. She has lived in 12 homes in six different states and two different countries. Somewhere along the way, she picked up a handsome military husband, two equally handsome little boys, a Master’s Degree in Aeronautical Science, and a knack for writing. When she isn’t writing articles or flying airplanes, she can be found battling ninja warriors, racing Hot Wheels, or picking bits of dried Play-Doh out of the carpet. She can’t stop drinking coffee and will sleep any chance she gets. Sarina is chasing careers in both aviation and journalism, and like everyone else, continues to seek the ultimate life balance.