​Oklahomans who want to change their party affiliation before the Primary or Runoff Primary Elections later this year must do so no later than Thursday, March 31, according to Cheryl Patterson, Secretary of the Garfield County Election Board.
​Changes of political affiliation are prohibited by law during the period beginning April 1 and continuing through August 31 in even-numbered years, Patterson said.

​Each political party can nominate one candidate per office for the November General Election. If two or more candidates from the same party file for one office, the party nominee is selected at either the Statewide Primary on June 28th or the Runoff Primary Election on August 23rd. During these elections, voters will pick nominees for offices like U.S. Congress and various county, state and federal races.

​ The Democratic Party has given Independent voters permission to vote in its primaries and runoff primaries in 2016 and 2017.

All registered voters, regardless of political affiliation, can vote for any candidate at the November General Election and for state or local questions at any election.

Applications to register to vote or to change political affiliation are available at the Garfield County Election Board office, 903 Failing Dr., Enid, OK 73703; the County Assessor’s office, the post office; the Library, Tag agencies and state offices providing public assistance.

Many voter questions can be answered and forms can be downloaded through the state website at www.elections.ok.gov.